Cos Cob Library History
The Cos Cob Library led a peripatetic existence from 1930 until September 1999 when it opened in its own building. In 1930, the Cos Cob Library, the first branch of the Greenwich Library, opened in conjunction with the opening of the new $200,000 addition to the Cos Cob School. In 1973 the library was moved out of the school and into a 1200 square foot rental space in the Mill Pond Shopping Center where it remained for 19 years. After another battle for its survival, it then moved over the Food Mart (now a CVS) which was a 1500 square foot space. It would remain in that location for 7 years.
In June 1995, a site near the Cos Cob School between Suburban Ave. and Strickland Road was identified as a wonderful location for a new building. To make the purchase possible, the Friends of Cos Cob Library contributed nearly their entire treasury for the down payment and the Trustees' Development Fund of the Greenwich Library advanced the balance of the purchase price against future fundraising. The new 5200 square foot building was designed specifically to remain consistent with the surrounding neighborhood by Kaehler/Moore Architects and is in the Richardsonian architectural style. The total project cost was $2.6 million.
We opened with great joy on September 25, 1999.
The Cos Cob Library: Then and Now